Sunday, January 8, 2012

Review: Matched


Matched
Matched by Ally Condie

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I had a fair idea of what I was getting into with this book and to be honest I wasn’t excited, in the least. It sounded like so many other dystopian novels these days, love triangle and all.

As I read it, it was shaping up to disappoint, it was what I had anticipated, and let me tell you, I am so over love triangles. I was about half way through when things really started to get good. I found the beginning of the novel to be a little lagging, but don’t take my word for it, I’ve found other reviews which state the flow was great and kept them interested. I just found myself dragging my feet to finish it at first.

I guess I don’t really have a whole lot to stay about this novel. It was eh, good. The last third really saved it for me. It didn’t have a really trite ending and left a gaping hole for the sequel and subsequent third in the trilogy which I really liked. I really liked the end and that will bring me back to read the next.

I think the second novel will make or break it for me, it’ll either cement an atypical dystopian love triangle or it will be something different. It could really go either way at this point.

If I did a star or rating system I would give the beginning half a 3 and the final half a 5. It really saved itself in the end for me. I read the synopsis for the second novel Crossed and I am thinking we may have something here. I hope it really gets going. The poetry and the Cassia, Ky relationship was sweet, I am still pulling for Xander though.

Because this is yet another love triangle storyline, I will probably not read Crossed.

I am not playing the ‘team’ card here so don’t try that Twilight crap with me. It’s a novel not a lifestyle.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment