Sunday, January 8, 2012

Review: Revolution


Revolution
Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Bookshelf Worthy!!!

I loved this book. It is by far one of my favorite books of the year (2011).

I have read other reviews, of which I do not read until AFTER I’ve read the novel, I hate having other peoples opinions in my head, I feel it does not allow mine develop purely. Anyway, I read many people didn’t like the pace of the book. Well it’s a ‘Historical Fiction’ therefore there will be references and a great deal of information about whatever historical event of person it is based on. Some people can so lazy and not allow characters to develop and a novel to move and become something.

There is a lot of criticism about Andi, the protagonist, about how she is so angst and depressed and how ridiculous it is that she is so upset and suicidal. Well to those people, unless you’ve gone through something extremely painful and life shattering you don’t know. I could completely connect with Andi and how pissed off and unhappy she was. I thought she was well writen and should be taken as a character for what she is. She’s not your cookie cutter teen and I love that about her. She’s not perfect and not obsessed with boys and has issues, I found it to be a breathe of fresh foul mouthed air.

As far as the time travel thingy part…I liked it, it was strange don’t get me wrong, I was not prepared for it, I was a little confused by it but I took the story for what it was worth and the lesson it was delivering. I would love to sit down and talk with Donnelly and ask her about a million questions, but I can’t. Part of me loves that part f the book, I was left without all the answers, usually that drives me crazy, I want to know everything, I’m an analyst by profession so not having all the information drives me wild. However, for some reason I can’t put my finger on I loved that part.

I liked how the worlds mirrored each other, if you read closely some of the names cross over too. Don’t forget the lesson, the world is brutal and scary but we don’t have to be. The world doesn’t change there will always be terrible people and there will always be wonderful people, who will you be?



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment