Sunday, January 8, 2012

Review: Speak


Speak
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

My rating: 5 of 5 stars




Wow…great book!
I am totally bummed I saw the movie first. Not that the movie wasn’t done well but I knew the story. I would have enjoyed the more intimate setting of a novel with Melinda more than the movie.
Regardless, I loved the book.
I can really relate to Melinda, I had a very difficult adolescence and battled depression during my high school years.
The story was wonderfully guided and heartbreakingly honest. I really enjoyed Melinda’s sense of humor.
“The climax of mating season is nearly upon us- the Senior Prom.” p.176. Couldn’t have said it better myself.
I found an interesting bit in the back of my special 10 year anniversary edition. It had an interview with Mrs. Anderson, the question and subsiquent response which shocked me was when asked if she was ever asked question by readers that shocked her she stated, “I have gotten one question repeatedly from young men. These are guys who liked the book, but they are honestly confused. They ask me why Melinda was so upset about being raped.”
That shocked the hell out of me. She goes on to explain how over sexualized our society is and I can’t help but agree. This is a great book and it should not only be read by girl, parents, teachers and counselors but young men as well. Because apparently the message is getting lost.
I have two young boys I am trying to make into young men and I can guarantee they will read this novel.
Must read, straight to the My Bookshelf.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment